Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Text: A Closer Look



In the last post, you watched what the "hora" looks like in action. As mentioned before, a vocalist is common during the "hora", but you may be wondering what the lyrics mean. Over this post and the one following, I will be discussing two popular pieces from the Banat area. Petrica (Peter in English) Moise sings the first song. He is a well-known folklore singer and composer, with his music gaining popularity not only in Banat, but throughout the rest of Romania as well. He has toured throughout Europe and North America. The subject of the piece featured here is kind of an ode to Banat. Petrica Moise uses metaphors to express the pride he feels to be a Banatean (someone from Banat). I've attached a recording of the piece above and have included the lyrics in both Romanian and their English translation. As with most translations, it's hard to capture the true meaning behind the words because the literal translations don't always convey the true message the artist is trying to get across. As such, I will provide try my best to provide some clarity.


Iorgovan frumoasa floare
Banatule colt de soare
Eu cu tine ma falosesc
C-aici viata mi-o traiesc
Banatule colt de rai

In Banat eu m-am nascut
Aici am copilarit
Unde canta coltul ierbii
Si vin la izvoare cerbii
Banatule loc de dor

La noi nimeni nu-i batran
Sarbatori mandre se tin
Dumnezeu ne ocroteste
Si pamantul ne rodeste
Tara mea-i Banatul meu

Pe unde m-o dus norocul
Am purtat cu mine focul
Si pan’ am venit ‘napoi
Mi-o fost gandul tot la voi
Banatenii mei falosi

Bogatii din lumea mare
Toate-n viata-s trecatoare
Dar in inima mi-i sfant
Al Banatului pamant
Pana mor il port in gand



English
Lilac, a beautiful flower
Banat is the corner of the sun
With you, I am proud
Here I live my life
Banat, a piece of heaven

In Banat I was born
I grew up here
Where the grass sings
And deer come to the springs
Banat, a place I long for

In our country nobody is old
Celebrations are held proud
God protects us
And our land yields harvest
Banat, my country

Look where fortune took me
I carried with me fire
And until I came back
I was always thinking about you
Banat, my pride

Great riches of the world
All things in life are fleeting
But in my heart I still hold dear
the land of Banat
Until I die I will keep you in my thoughts

Although it's hard to tell from the English translation, the song consists of 5-line stanzas, with the first four being rhyming couplets. The last word in the first and second line rhyme, and as do the last words in the third and fourth line. The first four lines typically include a metaphor meant as a praise to Banat, while the fifth line concludes the paragraph by directly stating the affection the artist has bout the place. For example, in the first stanza, the artist compares Banat to a lovely lilac and a piece of the sun which both bring to mind a sense of pleasantness and beauty. Then the next two lines talk about the pride of living there, with the last line directly referring to Banat as "heaven". The rest of the song goes on in a similar fashion. In addition to being sung, this piece can also be recited as spoken-word poetry, and in fact, a lot of traditional Romanian songs like these are often inspired by or just sung versions of pre-written poems.




No comments:

Post a Comment